Allotment Progress.

In June 2017, I took an allotment, after almost 3 years on the waiting list. I was delighted to get it, but as is so often the case when you take over a plot, it was very overgrown and neglected.




These pictures were actually taken after doing a little work digging up the weeds and grass. The timing of when I got the allotment, combined with the amount of work that needed done, meant basically losing an entire growing season. It's frustrating, I'm trying to focus on the long term. 


A few digging sessions later, and progress is being made. What was frustrating is that out warm, wet summer meant the weeds were growing almost as fast as I could pull them up. Eventually, I covered over as much as possible with black plastic to stop more weeds coming up. It's not pretty, but sometimes practical has to trump pretty.

Now it's almost completely clear and ready for the upcoming growing season.





I will try to get better photos taken soon, hopefully showing a bit more progress. The plan is to subdivide these large areas into manageable beds about 4 feet wide (this is a good width to make sure you can reach into the middle from either side without trampling on and compacting the soil.

Things are starting to take shape. Like I said, my next step is to mark out beds and paths. Then I'll dig in some manure that the community farm across the road very kindly gives to the allotments. Being in Scotland, I usually wait until late February / early March to start sowing, even indoors, but I might make a start on that this week.

In the mean time, there's some lovely buds on the blackcurrant bushes, and I really must get round to painting the shed.


I know it's hard to believe right now, but spring is almost here, and a little hard work and preparation now will really pay off.







Comments